Subscribe to the Pioneer Press Contact TwinCities.com and the Pioneer Press Local shopping TwinCities.com home and real estate TwinCities.com cars TwinCities.com jobs TwinCities.com classifieds TwinCities.com home page TwinCities.com home page TwinCities.com news TwinCities.com sports TwinCities.com business TwinCities.com entertainment TwinCities.com life TwinCities.com travel




with Sean Jensen and Don Seeholzer

Stop back often because Sean and Don regularly posts updates to your comments. Leave your comments and questions by clicking on the comments link below each post.






Saturday, September 01, 2007

Edwards moves on, look at practice squad candidates

Dovonte Edwards was surprised that he was released, although he was disappointed that he never got a chance to compete for the nickel job.

"I had some growing pains, during (Organized Team Activities)," said Edwards, who missed the 2006 season with an arm injury. "But I thought I worked them out, and I had a strong camp. I made a strong comeback. I was definitely pleased with how I came back from the injury. I thought I did a good job."

Edwards, though, doesn't expect to be unemployed very long, and he has no hard feelings about being a former Viking.

"It is a little disappointing, because I’ve grown to like a lot of people in this organization," he said. "But I definitely want to thank everyone in the organization for giving me my first opportunity, since I came in through the back door. I felt I would be here for a while. But that’s just how it is in the National Football League.

"I think the injury cost me a little bit," he said. "But everything happens for a reason. I feel maybe it’s time for me to move on."

Meanwhile, here are some players who could end up on the practice squad, if they aren't claimed by anyone else:

* QB Tyler Thigpen -- Definitely did enough to merit his seventh-round selection.

* WR Chandler Williams -- He showed some moves during camp, but he wasn't polished enough to be a contributor this season.

* S Patrick Body -- Very athletic player who was shifted from cornerback to safety.

* WR Martin Nance -- Has excellent size and hands, and he looked like a guy who could make the roster.

* WR Jason Carter -- Was a standout during the 2006 preseason, and he showed some flashes this year.

* C/ G Kyle Cook -- Versatile and did a good job at times.

* CB Chad Johnson -- Was slowed by an injury, but he shows some potential.

* TE Stephen Spach -- Shows some promise. Doesn't look uncomfortable catching the ball.

2 Comments:

Blogger sammysmackdown said...

Cuttting Edwards instead of Whittaker is a big mistake. I hope they place Ronyel behind Gordon in the depth chart because no corner on the Vikings last year gave up more big plays than he did. He also didn't look any better this pre-season against other teams backups.

9:46 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Whitaker of Edwards!!!! C'mon Childress! Does he have pictures of you or something? Dovonte can cover, Ronyell was a highlight film. For Green Bay, Chicago and Detroit!!

11:47 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home